Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Stepford Wives

Wednesday, October 3, 2012
The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

First sentence: "The welcome wagon lady, sixty if she was a day but working at youth and vivacity (ginger hair, red lips, a sunshine-yellow dress), twinkled her eyes and teeth at Joanna and said, "You're really going to like it here! It's a nice town with nice people! You couldn't have made a better choice!"

-This is another one of those "light reads" that didn't have any quotes that made me go back and re-read or write down a page to revisit. I also didn't find it particularly chilling... It was an enjoyable-enough read during our garage sale last weekend, though. And a short book for in-between Middlesex and my next venture.

Last sentence: "I don't mind," he said.

I decided to up all my book posts on Wednesdays. I'm a sucker for schedules (this is sad, no?). I don't want the book posts to pile up on top of each other as I notice they aren't popular but WHATEVER. I love knowing which quotes people liked in books and recently got a comment on my Middlesex posting saying they liked book posts. Granted this post is a bore, but that's because Stepford Wives was kind of a bore. I have yet to read a truly scary book. Recommendations? Please?

Next up: Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

2 comments:

  1. I have to confess that I only watched the movie (didn't read the book :( ) You can try reading Room by Emma Donoghue. It's not SCARY but I thought it was kind of crawl-under-your-skin kind of creepy because it's seriously warped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointing you found the book a bore; I'm looking forward to reading it because I loved the film and also 'Rosemary's Baby' (book and film). You really should try reading Stephen King's 'It'. It's long, but engrossing and truly chilled me in places. It's also a great novel about friendship.

    ReplyDelete