Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Black Pine Animal Park

Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Last weekend a group of us went to Black Pine animal park in Albion, Indiana. It's an animal sanctuary for older exotic animals from zoos and from (awful awful) people who had them as pets. There are lions, tigers, bears (yeah yeah), monkeys, barnyard animals, etc. They had a bunch of new animals, too. I've been there a handful of times. I'd heard the lion I loved so much had died, but they got another. And there was a whole new exhibit for wolves.



I can't explain how much I love my new camera. This female lion was behind thick wire and you'd never know. Ehh. Anyway.


I got a series of pictures of this tiger yawning and thought this one was awesome. It's right at the end of his yawn and he looks so menacing.


This was heartbreaking. Casey, Alex and I went over to this bear's enclosure and she was just laying there. We talked to her a bit and she got up and leaned against the fencing like this. And just watched us. I've never wanted to hug something so bad...and I've been in the same room as Bill Cosby.


I also got a chance to use some filters I'd purchased on Ebay. I plan on devoting a blog post to them. They were ridiculously cheap and fun. I'm no expert concerning exactly what they do but they made my pictures pretty, so that's enough.


Okay, I think this ostrich placed a curse on me. This picture is horrifying. I got it in mid-blink and I want to die now. I think this'll end up being one of those "creepypasta" things where if you look at it's eye you'll see it every time you close your eyes at night and it'll pop out from under your bed.


{This is Casey telling a story about something. I wasn't listening.}



After the park, we stopped at this random pizza place. I should've taken a picture of the pizza. I definitely recommend it next time you're in random-ass-town, Indiana.


What kind of post would this be without a video of a giant senile lion rolling on it's back?


Are there any cool places like this near where you live? I'm sure most people in Fort Wayne have no idea they're 45 minutes away from a place where you can stand a (literal) foot away from a lion and stare straight into his giant orb eyes.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I had no idea that place was there! My family and I go to the Warsaw area almost every weekend in the summer (or well, used to. I moved to California so I miss out on all that fun now) to hang out at the lakes and had I known there was an animal sanctuary near I would have been all over it. We have the San Diego wild animal park here, but you don't get to be close to the bigger animals at all. Lovely pictures! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I've written many times that it's been yeeeeaaaars since I've been to a zoo. I really like that this isn't just a normal zoo, that it's a sanctuary. How did you know the lion was senile? The picture of the bear is heartbreaking.

    Can't wait to see the filters post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these photos are amazing! :D And you have me laughing about what you said about the ostrich, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a fun day. Haha that ostrich IS scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these hilarious captions and the photos, especially of your fam and Casence. The one of the tiger is really awesome too! I'll be catching up on your blog in my law class today. :) <3 Organ luv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, thanks for sharing! Just to clarify for those who haven't visited Black Pine, we are a true sanctuary. None of these animals came from zoos, they are all displaced, captive-raised "pets" and "performers". Black Pine doesn't buy, sell, trade, breed, or seek out animals, nor is it a zoo. Your visit helps provide the funding needed to give these animals refuge for the REST of their lives. There is no better place to spend your time and to donate if you care about animals. More than 90 live there now, with more needing help all the time. Check them out! www.blackpine.org.

    ReplyDelete