Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Middlesex

Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

First sentence: "I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

Quote #1: "I didn't know death would be like this, lieutenant. I feel close to you. I'm gone. I've taken that trip to Hades, yet I can still see you. Listen to me. Death is not the end. This is what I've discovered. We remain, we persist. The dead see that I'm one of them. They're all around me. You can't see them, but they're here. Mothers with children, old women-everyone's here. Tell the cook to bring me my lunch."

Quote #2: "...the tiniest bit of truth made credible the greatest lies."

Quote #3: "It was happening all the time, unnoticed, and it was the thing that really mattered. What really mattered in life, what gave it weight, was death. Seen this way, my bodily metamorphosis was a small event."

Last sentence: [Potentially a spoiler.]

You must read this. This book skyrocketed to my top 3 favorite books by the time I was 25% done with it. It was one of the first books I really really didn't want to end. It took me an eternity to get through it, both because it's over 500 pages and because I felt like I rationed myself bits each day so that it wouldn't be over so soon. I found going in not knowing anything about it was great too. Just give it a shot if you see it at a used bookstore or at the library. Eugenides is amazing. I'd read The Virgin Suicides and now can't wait to read The Marriage Plot. I'm not usually a fan of writers who are still alive, but he's an enormously important exception. (Indigo was also named after a phrase in the book that completely stuck in my head. "Indigo bathwater." I don't know why certain things affect me, but I loved that phrase.)

Next up: The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

4 comments:

  1. Oh, man! That first sentence is shocking! I want to go and start reading the book! Haha.

    Hey, don't forget to let me know if there's a book you want so I can get it for really, really cheap at the library. Don't feel bad asking ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this since I read The Virgin Suicides, but I never actually got around to it. I definitely HAVE to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my immediate to-read list! Thank you for reminding me of it, and I'm very glad to know you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, someone else who actually reads books in this blogging world! ;) I swear it's hard to find.

    Peony

    ReplyDelete