Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Wizard of Oz

Wednesday, August 8, 2012
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

First sentence: "Dorothy lives in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife."

Quote #1: "No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful. There is no place like home."

Quote #2: "I see we are going to live a little while longer, and I am glad of it, for it must be a very uncomfortable thing not to be alive."

Quote #3: "You are quite welcome to take my head off, as long as it will be a better one when you put it on again."

Last sentence: "For the Silver Shoes had fallen off in her flight through the air, and were lost forever in the desert."

I found it interesting reading the story considering I've seen the movie about a dozen times. It's definitely different. I'm excited to re-watch the movie (it's been maybe...10 years?) and remind myself of the story I thought I knew. The main difference is that Dorothy's shoes aren't ruby red, they're silver. Not that that makes the biggest difference in the world, but one of the main things people think of when they imagine The Wizard of Oz are ruby red shoes - take China Glaze's "Ruby Red Pumps" nail polish. It's really sad how many things I can associate with nail polish shades. Anyway, if you haven't read this book, it's a classic, and you should.

Up next: Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides

3 comments:

  1. I love The Wizard of Oz but I think I might love the cover of this book even more, it's so colorful. I'm a sucker for pretty books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a toddler, my grandfather would put me on his shoulder and walk around the room bouncing me up and down while saying, "Lions and tigers and bears! OH MY!" We'd laugh for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read it now especially since the great powerful OZ with James Franco is coming out

    ReplyDelete