Wednesday, August 1, 2012

House of Leaves

Wednesday, August 1, 2012
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

First sentence: "I still get nightmares."

Quote #1: "Whereupon Navidson's eye quickly pans from the thoughtless splatter of grey matter and blood to more pressing things, the groan of the living calling him away from the sigh of the dead."

Quote #2: "Lazarus is dead again."

Quote #3: "Of course real horror does not depend upon the melodrama of shadows or even the conspiracies of night."

Last sentence: "Letting the parade pass from sight, he focuses on the empty road beyond, a pale curve vanishing into the woods where nothing moves and a street lamp flickers on and off until it flickers out and darkness sweeps in like a hand."

This was a weird weird book. At times I wanted to throw it and at times I could not (absolutely could not) put it down. I once read from 4 in the morning until 10, getting no sleep. I definitely recommend it to those who like unconventional books and haunted house stories. I think I need to read it again before saying if I like it as a whole or not. Which is a weird concept to me. Normally I either like a book or I don't, plain and simple. I can't come to a definitive decision here. It's absolutely worth the read, though.

Next up: The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

4 comments:

  1. I've heard quite a bit about this book & I've been curious! I don't think it's something I'll enjoy though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quotes you shared from the book. Such poignant statements. I've never given this book a chance because of what I've heard from others. But I'm thinking of giving it an honest try now. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this now for ages, but still I haven't made myself go get it. I sure wish you'd said more about the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it sounds really different. I haven't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete