Thursday, June 7, 2012

Winesburg, Ohio

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

First sentence: "The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed."

Quote #1: In bed the writer had a dream that was not a dream."

Quote #2: "You must try to forget all you've learned. You must begin to dream. From this time on you must shut your ears to the roaring of the voices."

Quote #3: The third favorite quote is a cluster of quotes spread out in the chapter called "Loneliness." 
  • "The story of Enoch is in fact the story of a room almost more than it is the story of a man."
  • "There must have been two dozen of the shadow people, invented by the child-mind of Enoch Robinson, who lived in the room with him.
  • "Out she went through the door and all the life there had been in the room followed her out."
Last sentence: "He stayed that way for a long time and when he aroused himself and again looked out of the car window the town of Winesburg had disappeared and his life there had become but a background on which to paint the dreams of his manhood.


If you're unfamiliar with the odd format of these book posts, read this post. It is my impression that nothing here is a "spoiler," otherwise I would have omitted it. I was introduced to Anderson in my L251 American Literature class in college and was interested in the characters he created. So I rummaged through Every Other Book and found this complete copy. It comes highly recommended from me. 

Next up: Matilda by Roald Dahl

2 comments:

  1. I really like the first sentence. It makes me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I haven't read anything by this author. I have a little problem with fiction. Since I'm not a bookworm, I usually choose non-fiction books to at least learn facts. Not saying that you don't learn anything from stories, of course not! But I don't know, I wish I could read way more than I do.

    Yesterday, though, I bought a book at the library I volunteer that I kind of got hooked on right away. I bought it because I liked the cover (lame! I know!), but I'm looking forward to keep reading :p.

    Oh, and Roald Dahl!Did you know that when you're learning English as a second language the intermediate syllabus ALWAYS includes Roald Dahl? :P

    Hope you're having a great day, Kirsten! ;D

    ReplyDelete