Friday, June 22, 2012

The Bell Jar

Friday, June 22, 2012
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

First sentence: "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenburgs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York."

Quote #1: "Physics made me sick the whole time I learned it. What I couldn't stand was this shrinking everything into letters and numbers. Instead of leaf shapes and enlarged diagrams of the holes the leaves breathe through and fascinating words like carotene and xanthophyll on the blackboard, there were these hideous, cramped, scorpion-lettered formulas in Mr. Manzi's special red chalk."

Quote #2: "People were made of nothing so much as dust, and I couldn't see that doctoring all that dust was a bit better than writing poems people would remember and repeat to themselves when they were unhappy or sick and couldn't sleep."

Quote #3: "Once when I visited Buddy I found Mrs. Willard braiding a rug out of strips of wool from Mr. Willard's old suits. She'd spent weeks on that rug, and I had admired the tweedy browns and greens and blues patterning the braid, but after Mrs. Willard was through, instead of hanging the rug on the wall the way I would have done, she put it down in place of her kitchen mat, and in a few days it was soiled and dull and indistinguishable from any mat you could buy for under a dollar in the five and ten."

Last sentence: "The eyes and the faces all turned themselves toward me, and guiding myself by them, as by a magical thread, I stepped into the room.


Next up: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the cover! :p I bought another novel for 50c again just because I like its cover :/.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Kirsten! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kirsten! :p Just popping in to wish you a great week! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard such good things about this book, though I have never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you think of it? I'm not really a big fan, but it was a good book!

    Daisy Dayz
    Cross-Jones-Photography
    My Hub Pages

    ReplyDelete