Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Salamonie Reservoir Take 2

Wednesday, March 14, 2012
The Salamonie Reservoir is quickly becoming one of my favorite places. A few weeks ago we ventured out in hopes of seeing more eagles. At first we thought we weren't going to get lucky...


Then we spotted this guy. We (possibly illegally) crossed some fences to get closer and he kept flying away.



After we tired of chasing the eagle, we went to the bird-watching building and spotted so many pretty birds.


My favorite was this guy. I believe it's a red-headed woodpecker. I'm trying to get better at identifying birds, but at this point I'm pretty awful. However...he does have a red head. And appears to be pecking the tree.


Okay, I take that back. THIS lady was my favorite. I think female cardinals are so much prettier than they're given credit for. We saw about 10 cardinals (male) all in the same tree. I didn't really get any pictures because I was preoccupied with these next birds.


Becky was talking about the last time she came to the birdwatching room. She mentioned all the turkeys she found. I had never seen a turkey in the wild before so I was hoping we'd see one or two. At the exact time she was telling me about them, this happened. Look closely. You'll see a bunch of turkeys coming up the hill. It was almost scary. Impending turkeys.



Needless to say the smaller birds stayed away so I wasn't able to get many more images of them. But the turkeys were entertaining enough.


In the building there were a few birds in cages and turtles and snakes found in Indiana. This guy was adorable. He'd make little hoots when we'd pass his cage. The wire only had tiny tiny holes so I couldn't get clear photos, but you can still tell he's tiny and adorable.


--Off topic--

Tonight I'm hoping to be PRODUCTIVE. I really hate how little updating I've done with 909, so I want to be able to stock the shop with soooomething before I leave for Pittsburgh on Friday. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. i'm not going to lie to you and say that i like birds, because i'm deathly afraid of them! but, your pictures are wonderful!

    drop by allister bee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many cute birds! :P

    And it's so cool you love Kings of Convenience, too! ;) Erlend went to Buenos Aires a few years ago and I totally missed his concert, boo! I wonder if they'll ever come here again.

    Good luck on being productive and have fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh you got some gorgeous bird photos!!! Wow!!! I miss seeing those types of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew owls were so cute? I might have to jump on the owl bandwagon.

    IMPENDING TURKEYS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE birds, I want to go bird watching now D:
    I have a cardinal couple in my backyard this spring, they've been greeting me every morning with pretty singing :) (ok, they're probably calling to eachother not me, but yknow.) They're such pretty birds.


    looool impending turkeys, that made me laugh XD
    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete