Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A New Blog Series

Tuesday, January 17, 2012
For those of you who don't know, because I rarely talk about it, I really love reading.  I refrain from talking about it both in person and on my blog because, for some reason, it brings out a side of people I find unattractive. Collections of books, and lists of what someone has read tend to be gloating points. Criticisms are critiqued (it gets complicated) and reviews and analyses can be contrived and boring.

But I love the words. I love reading the first sentences and the last sentences. I love finding quotes I want to go back and read again.

I love reading. I don't love analyzing. I don't love critiquing. I love reading and sharing certain quotes I found inspiring, dark, funny, or just beautifully written. So many people will compare one author to another, and I've always found that meaningless. It all comes down to who is reading it.

Basically what I'm getting at is: I'm going to start posting about the books I'm reading. I'm not going to critique or review them. I'm going to include my favorite things: the opening sentence, three of my favorite quotations (if I find as many) and the last sentence (unless it gives away "spolier" information about the book). I'm not going to recommend you read or don't read anything. I don't like that sort of thing. I could recommend my absolute favorite book to someone and have them hate it, and it accomplishes nothing. But if someone finds a quote as beautiful as I did, they might enjoy what I've read.

This is such a boring post, but I wanted to attach this little disclaimer to my book posts, as most people review/critique, and I will do neither.

First up: Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

2 comments:

  1. Nono this post isn't boring at all! I think you're totally right about the world of talking about books - people who read a lot become super defensive of certain series books or authors, and have strong disdain for other books and actually look down on you if you have read and enjoyed these books. It gets pointless and frustrating. So I totally love this idea of simply sharing what you enjoyed :) Can't wait!


    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you hadn't done this when you read HP. :(

    ReplyDelete