Monday, January 30, 2012

The Hunger Games

Monday, January 30, 2012
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I've never been one to read "young adult" books. The only other young persons' series I got into was Harry Potter. But I grew up on that. Here I am at 20 and sick of listening to Hunger Games hype without knowing what it's about. I wanted to be informed. Plus I'm a fan of reading the book before seeing the movie. I'll admit the trailer looked amazing and was what intrigued me. And after reading the book, it looks 100x better. (I think Lenny Kravitz as Cinna is perfect.) I'm glad I found this book on the shelves of the home goods section of TJ Maxx. Weird, but serendipitous.

On to the book: I don't really have quotes and wasn't necessarily impressed with the beginning and ending sentences. This isn't an artistically written book in my opinion, but truly awesome story-telling. It's been awhile since I didn't want to put a book down. I was never bored. I feel like a jerk not having quotes or anything, but I want to keep these posts true to what I think, and I think these books are geared towards people younger than me. It's an easy read. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I bought the series and fully intend on keeping them on my bookshelves. In fact I'm already a bit into Catching Fire. And counting down the days until the movie comes out.

Next up: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

2 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way when I read the books! She told such a great story, but it's true that there aren't very many quotes that just stick out. I think that's almost what makes it great. The fact that people in their 20's can read them and get into them and younger readers can also understand them is really cool to me. You will love Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Each book is definitely better than the last.

    Also, YES to Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. I made the mistake of watching the trailer before reading the book, but I'm glad I did because I pictured him as Cinna the whole time and I really couldn't see anyone else playing that part now.

    Ok, sorry for the novel. I just finished the series and have been really excited about the books and am really excited for the movie haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this in one day! One sitting! I totally agree that it's no literary masterpiece but that the story is AMAZING.

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete