Thursday, December 22, 2011

Frankenmuth, Michigan

Thursday, December 22, 2011
Yesterday Katie, Kristin and I took our day trip to Frankenmuth, Michigan. To be honest it was a pretty awful day for a day trip. But as always, we had fun. It rained and the fog was pretty thick, but it made for some interesting pictures. (I would have taken a lot more, but it misted most of the day and water terrifies me around cameras - as I ruined my beloved Samsung with water.)


For those who don't know, Frankenmuth is a town stuck at Christmas in Bavaria. Everything is festive and German-themed. We ate at the Bavarian Inn and were served by a woman in a traditional dress. We were jealous of those who were served by the men... dressed in lederhosen. I'm hitting myself over not being gutsy enough to ask if I could take their pictures.


I'm sure it would have been better to visit on a bright sunny day, but the fact that it was so close to Christmas made the trip pretty great. I got some fudge for my dad at one of the many many candy stores. Maple walnut. Absolutely disgusting. There was no risk of me eating it.


The little town where all the shopping was was pretty adorable. Christmas music was playing just about everywhere. Since the weather was unfavorable, the crowds were minimal. If you know me, you know that's an amazing plus.

All in all, it was worth the three hour trip for a day in "little Bavaria".

2 comments:

  1. That first photo is just magical!! Looks like it was a cute little trip :)

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really fun little town. I went to a breakfast restaurant in Quebec where the waitresses wore traditional dress. It was really funny, actually. I wish I could have seen the lederhosen.

    ReplyDelete