Thursday, December 22, 2011

FF #26 - Christmas Songs

Thursday, December 22, 2011

This Friday Five is Christmas themed, as it should be. I'm going to share my five favorite Christmas songs. This was really hard to decide on. With some help from my iTunes "play count", I narrowed it down. Without further ado...

1. Vince Guaraldi Trio - O Tannenbaum
We were never a family to watch the Charlie Brown specials, but this year I've found myself incredibly attached to the music from them. Vince Guaraldi Trio has been my go-to music when I don't know what to listen to or am just sick of hearing people sing, but want to listen to music. This song is top on my iTunes and the main song choice for the Renzmas slideshow. Therefore, it is number 1.
O Tannenbaum by Vince Guaraldi on Grooveshark




2. The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
This is a classic. And though I have to admit (sadly), the first time I heard this song it was the Dustin Kensrue version (which is great, don't get me wrong), I've grown to love this version. It's vulgar and not your typical holiday theme, but a great nonetheless.
Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues on Grooveshark




  3. Kevin Devine - Splitting Up Christmas
This song must be played in my car about 56 times every December. This isn't really a well-known holiday anthem, but it has bells at the beginning and reminds me of good times. Simple enough.
Splitting Up Christmas by Kevin Devine on Grooveshark




4. Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
I'm a sucker for the classics. I haven't heard a version of this song I didn't like - Ella Fitzgerald, Coldplay, whatever. I'd have to say this is my all-time favorite traditional Christmas song. And I'll have to add it's my favorite when sung by her.
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland on Grooveshark



5. Burl Ives - Holly Jolly Christmas
Last and certainly not least. As I mentioned a post or two ago, I love the movie Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. It's probably partly due to the fact that Burl Ives narrates and sings. This is the Christmas song. I've loved it since I can remember and hope I always do. It's just happy.
Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives on Grooveshark


I've love to hear your favorites. I always welcome new Christmas music. Just don't say Mariah Carey or Glee songs...because I will make the blankest face of all blank faces.

Merry Christmas Eve Eve!

3 comments:

  1. Haha "Don't say Mariah Carey or Glee"... agreed!
    But.. what if I said I liked.... "Christmas in the Stars" - a starwars christmas album?? :$ :$

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The O Tannenbaum player wasn't loading, so I went to YouTube just so I could listen to it because I love it so much. Then I found THIS in related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8LmMtScH3g&feature=related


    Merry Freakin Christmas.

    ReplyDelete