Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Annual Santa Lighting

Tuesday, December 6, 2011
On the day before Thanksgiving (which already feels like a million years ago), Katie, Casey and I went downtown for the annual Santa lighting. This is pretty self explanatory. I've lived in Fort Wayne for 15 years now. I've been visiting the Fort Wayne Santa for 20 years (we'd drive up from Huntington). I've never attended the actual lighting of it. There were so many people there. I'd never seen such a large crowd in my city (except for maybe a Tincaps game).


We waited. It was freezing. But then it lit up, everyone cheered, stood around for a few minutes, then walked away. It was monumental.


As you can see here, Santa winks. Or his eye goes black. It's suggestive and uncomfortable, but a tradition all the same.

video

(So you can see it in action.)

4 comments:

  1. i wish that my town did something cool like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love the all the anticipation that goes with it but then as soon as it's lit everyone scatters. At least we have other lights and they've made it more of an event lately! You and Casey weren't even standing that far away from Joe and I, we were a little to your right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HEARD YOUR VOICE. Yay! I'm working on getting myself to write my own lighting post too :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. our town does this every year we did not go this year but our parade is Friday night so I am excited!

    ReplyDelete