Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Poe Cemetery

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
This past weekend I went to my parent's and my mom and I wanted to get out of the house since the weather was beautiful. The leaves had started changing and the temperature had been in the 70s and 80s. We got the dogs and some frozen Cokes and drove to Poe, Indiana.


Jezzbelle loves the car.


Mowgli does not.


This creepy little schoolhouse is next to the cemetery. It was our original destination. When I went country driving a few days ago I didn't stop here because I was a baby and there were people in view.


And next to the schoolhouse is Poe cemetery, a tiny cemetery with century old gravestones and bugs.




The walnut tree wanted to kill us. It was dead silent in the cemetery except for locusts, which Hoosiers can pretty well tune out. Every once in awhile we'd hear a loud thump and look around. Walnuts were falling from this tree and could have easily knocked us out.


I'm not a fan of bugs. At all. This thing is nasty. Just so you know.


Most of the gravestones had indistinguishable writing due to weathering and age, but the ones that did were interesting to read.




My mom and I decided we're going to come back after the first frost when it's bug free and bring paper for etchings. Like cool kids.

5 comments:

  1. Super cool post, i love these photos! Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. Cemeteries are definitely one of my favorite places to explore and snap pictures. Sea Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! There really is something really eerie about old cemeteries and school houses that you can't help but love visiting them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really cool. At the campground I go to with Tom, we like to walk up to a flat part on the mountain. There's a rock outcrop and people have carved things into it. A lot of them are really old...with serifs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh this gets me in the mood for fall season! Love all the colors!

    I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say hi! I'd love for you to come on over and follow me on my new site Color Issue!

    xoxox
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete