Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Five (17) - Zoo Favorites

Friday, September 23, 2011
1. The alligators: My mom and I went to the zoo when it opened on Wednesday morning. It looked like rain and not a lot of people were there. The animals were PERFECT. We saw just about everything but the tiger - they were cleaning or something. But the alligators were about the best. Normally they're sunning way back in the exhibit, but this time they were obviously front and center. And a little creepy.


2. This sassy goose: Our family has a membership to our zoo and my mom went not long before we did and said she saw (what a messy sentence this is) a new goose that was white and beautiful and she wanted pictures. I knew as soon as I saw her. And she was so snooty. Doesn't she look like the goose version of Anna Wintour?


3. These...birds: I'm guilty of not really reading signs. I like to look not read when I go to the zoo. Occasionally I'll want to know where something's from (the penguins from our zoo are from South Africa?), but other than that I stay blissfully unaware of names and "fun facts". But I watched these two fighting over worms for a few minutes. I didn't get a good picture, but they are beautiful. And in the Australia section of the zoo - which we seldom visit do to the red sand that tends to stain shoes - there was a lot I'd been missing.


4. Wah! Baby wildebeest! The way our zoo's Africa section is set up, the wildebeest, which I love, are very hard to get a good view of. Thank god for my zoom, because there was a baby. This is him attempting to lay back down. You should have seen the trial and error of standing up. So adorable. And gigantic.


5. The honey badger: Need I even write a caption?


I have a feeling we're going to wear out our zoo pass in the last month it's open. What's your favorite zoo? I've been to my fair share. We always seem to vacation in cities with amazing zoos. My favorite that I've seen so far is the Pittsburgh one. I'd love to go back.

PS: Be sure to check the shop! I updated like crazy!

Bon weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a zoo in a long time and I have no lasting memories of being at a zoo. The Bronx Zoo was pretty awesome, I think. All these animals chillin in their replicated natural habitats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zoos, even though I can imagine how terrible it is for an animal to be held captive like that. That baby wildebeest is too cute, I love seeing their awkward wobbly steps. I've seen a baby giraffe almost right after it was born, and it was quivering and even larger! Too adorable. My favorite zoo so far has been the San Diego zoo, but so far I've had the horrid luck of finding most of the animals in hiding from the heat.

    And also yes! That's why I came here, I saw you posted new stuff and I'm liking this new direction, especially the lavender case you made. It looks really nice lined up with the other bow cases in your shop and I just wanted to let you know :)
    <3 Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don´t go to the zoo a lot. In fact, I think I have only been to one or two :S
    Although it must be a lot of fun. Those birds are gorgeous.
    What I really like though, is the oceanarium. That is really cool and magical even.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Rainbow Lorikeet.
    We get a lot of them here, beautiful but noisy as anything at the most inconvenient times!

    ReplyDelete