Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Five (Vol. 10)

Friday, July 29, 2011
This week is for nostalgia and video games. I'm old enough to be able to look back and smile to myself at how "simple" the video games I used to play are. But they were seriously awesome- then and now. So here are five video games I remember most vividly and miss.

1. Super Mario World 1&2: I never really got a chance to actually play this. I was babysat by someone who had this and I'd watch my older brother and his friend play it for hours. They'd never let me play because I sucked and never got passed the second level. I can remember all the sounds and how cool it was that you could go backwards. Every time I see old systems I have a really hard time saying no.

2. The joint Mario and Duck Hunt cartridge: This was the first system and game my family had. This brings back so many memories of Saturdays at my old house in Huntington. My favorite Mario level was the second one. I loved the music. These games I actually played. And though I was in the single digits of age, I was pretty damned good. I loved this version of Mario so much that I bought the re-make for DS and still have and play it.
3. The Duck Hunt gun: I remember how it feels and sounds to shoot this. Looking back this was a pretty white trash game to play, but I was too young to realize. I still remember untangling the cord for this guy. I found this image via Etsy.
4. Captain Crunch's Crunchlings: SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I REMEMBER THIS. We got these computer games in Captain Crunch cereal boxes. My brother and I played these like crazy. You got this little "Crunchling" which you got to design (which meant choose the color of it's skin and hair) and as you played games with it, it grew. Oh god... I can't believe I found an image of this game. We played this on a truly old IBM computer. Now I'm thinking of all these other computer games we played. This should have been a Friday Fifteen.
5. Crash Bandicoot: Playstation. So. Old. While this is the most recent game on the list, it still feels like so long ago my brother and I played this. I remember the TNT boxes and ...yeah, it was awhile ago. I remember the music. I always remember the music. We also had Crash Bandicoot racing, which I sucked at. I've never been good at racing games because I get so anxious.
I seriously want to go buy an NES now. And I didn't even mention Pokemon or Zelda. Good god. Expect more nostalgic Friday Fives.

What video games did you play when you were little?

3 comments:

  1. I had a very brief obsession with Yoshi. Then when I got my gameboy color I played a lot of Frogger 2. That's about it. I've never been a video game person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Rita
    I am a total old school game nerd too! Until I read this about the Captain Crunch game I had forgotten about it, but I too once played the heck out of that game! Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with Yoshi! He's just too cute!
    xxx,
    Lily
    http://lilycupcake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete